Find a New Position in State Service

find_a_new_position.jpgState employees have a variety of avenues for career advancement. You can take a statewide or departmental examination and get placed on an eligibility list. Once you have taken an exam and been placed on an eligibility list, you may be able to view how many people have applied for the same position by clicking here.

You may also be eligible to receive Veteran's Preference Points if you meet certain criteria. Veteran's preference points apply to open civil service examinations for classifications that do not require both college graduation and two or more years of experience. For additional information on Veteran's Preference Points and how to apply for them click here.

In addition, persons with disabilities are eligible to participate in LEAP (Limited Examination and Appointment Program). LEAP provides an alternative way to demonstrate qualifications for employment other than the transitional state civil service examination. For more information on LEAP click here.

You may also be able to transfer into a different classification without taking an exam. We recommend that people who are interested in finding a position to transfer into begin by checking the Transfer Calculator found on the CalHR website. You can find information on vacant positions at VPOS.

"When Working Doesn't Work" 

Are you at that point where you just barely tolerate coming to work every day and you want something to change?  Click here >>