Local 1000 Board Adopts Resolution to Examine and Advise on Union Governance
On September 25, 2022, the SEIU Local 1000 Board of Directors (BOD) adopted a resolution to create a Committee on the Future (COF) to work on the future governance structure of SEIU Local 1000. On Saturday, October 29, 2022, the BOD held a virtual meeting to consider and approve—by a vote of 32-6—the following final recommendations:
Who makes up the Committee on the Future? The COF shall be composed of the following:
- The Chair of the BOD, who shall serve as its Chair
- The Local 1000 Vice President / Secretary-Treasurer, who shall serve as its Vice Chair
- The Vice President for Organizing / Representation
- The Vice President for Bargaining
- The 10 BUNC Chairs or their designees
- Nine DLC presidents representing the various geographic
regions of Local 1000. The Local’s Bargaining Department Director
and Research Department Director shall serve as resource staff to
the COF and assist the COF in carrying out its mission. Local
1000’s Chief Counsel shall serve as Counsel to the COF.
- The nine DLC presidents shall be selected according to the
- Two DLC presidents by the Vice President / Secretary-Treasurer
- Two DLC presidents by the Vice President for Bargaining
- Two DLC presidents by the Vice President for Organizing / Representation
- Three DLC presidents by the Board Chair
- In the event a Bargaining Unit Negotiating Committee (BUNC)
Chair decides to select a designee instead of serving themselves
on the COF, the designee will be chosen at the beginning of the
process. Any designee shall fulfill the entire term of the
COF. The BUNC Chair may designate a Local 1000 member from
within their respective Bargaining Unit Statewide Bargaining
Advisory Committee (SBAC), who, in their best judgment, has
demonstrated that the individual meets the following
- Has served in a leadership position in the union
- Shares a commitment to the mission and vision of Local 1000
- Is open to explore and consider new ideas to improve the operations of Local 1000
- Possesses the ability and willingness to spend time to fully participate and contribute to the work of the committee, including work on evenings or weekends, if necessary, which may not be covered by paid time
- Has the courage to lead with the power of their convictions
- Acts with respect for the diversity of opinions and backgrounds
How will the Committee do its work? What is the timeline?
- December 2022: COF appointments made by the Chair of the
Board and Vice Presidents of the BOD according to the above
formula, subject to affirmation by the Local 1000 Board of
- January 2023: COF consultant retained by Local 1000 and
begins to prepare materials and timeline for Committee work. The
Consultant shall work under the direction of the Chair and Vice
Chair of the COF.
- February 2023: The COF shall hold its initial organizational
meeting to discuss its work plan, process, and timeline.
- March to June 2023: COF process underway.
- July 2023: COF shall adopt its report and
recommendations, forwarding the report, to the Local 1000 Board
Chair for transmittal to the Local 1000 Board of Directors for
- August 2023: The COF Report and Recommendations will be made
available to the full Board of Directors at least 30 days prior
to the September 2023 Board meeting.
- September 2023: Local 1000 Board of Directors conducts its meeting to review and consider the COF Report and Recommendations.