DMV Driver Safety re-open Meet and Confer
Update as of February 11, 2021
On Thursday, February 11, 2021, our DMV HEAT team held a Meet and Confer with management over the notice to re-open the Driver Safety Branch to the public as of February 16, 2021. DMV members strategized for this meeting based on conversations with many members from the Driver Safety branches across the state. Throughout this meeting, member leaders held management to task to ensure the health and safety of all SEIU Local 1000 members, as we continue to navigate the ongoing uncharted territory of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The key points from this meeting are as follows:
- Plexiglass will be installed in all the Driver Safety Offices
in order to safely conduct in-person hearings. No in-person
hearings will be conducted until plexiglass has properly been
- Once the plexiglass is installed, the only
in-person hearings that will be conducted will be for purposes
- ADA/ American Sign Language
- Witness identity/confirmation
- Fraud – identity or test related
- Hearing Officers will be on a staggered schedule, where
Hearing Officers may have in-person hearings up to two days a
- There will be no change to anyone’s current
- Hearing Officers are encouraged to request face shields from
their supervisors for added protection.
- If anyone is experiencing any issues and/or feels unsafe in
regard to their working conditions, please reach out to Ted
Burnett via email at email@example.com
- Considering the ongoing nature of this issue, this table will remain open and SEIU Local 1000 will reconvene with DMV management once the plexiglass has been installed and after a couple of weeks of in-person hearings resume to ensure all Driver Safety offices are adhering to guidelines agreed to by DMV.