EDD Fingerprint and Background Checks
Due to new IRS rules regarding fingerprinting and background checks, the Employment Development Department (EDD) implemented new policies impacting about 5500+ of our members. Local 1000 met multiple times with EDD and the California Department of Human Resources (CalHR) to ensure the implementation was not overly broad and did not impact any of our members unnecessarily.
Some of the major results of our team’s negotiations include the following:
- A 10% reduction in the number of Local 1000-represented employees subject to the new background checks;
- Voluntary transfer or demotion, where possible, in lieu of punitive separation for failure to pass the background check;
- Narrowing the scope of crimes that could cause failure of the background check to only those related to the duties the employees perform;
- Extension of the implementation timeline to two phases (Phase 1 will begin in July 2018; Phase 2 will begin around October of 2019); and,
- Clearly defining that there will be no cost to the employee, that fingerprinting will take place on state time including travel (any travel expenses will be reimbursed), a detailed appeals process if employees believe they failed the background check by mistake, and ensuring any issues discovered will be kept private and confidential.
If you have any additional questions or concerns regarding the EDD fingerprint and background check, please contact the Member Resource Center at 866.471.7348 (SEIU).