Get the training you need
A common complaint is that employees don’t get the training they need to be successful in their new positions.
Sit down with your supervisor and describe the training you need to be successful. Be specific. After the meeting, send your supervisor a memo or email confirming the discussion you had.
Your training requests can include:
- Making available written copies of manuals and policies
- Assigning you a mentor or a peer you can go to with questions
- Shadowing an experienced coworker
- On-the-job training on specific tasks or policies
- Scheduling regular feedback sessions with you
- Approval to attend training classes.
Identifying training classes
Ask your workplace steward to help you identify training resources. If you don’t know who your steward is, call the Local 1000 Union Resource Center at 866.471.SEIU (7348).
Go to Local 1000’s career mobility website and check out our education and training ideas.
Contact your supervisor or training office and ask about training programs offered by the department.