Read our suggestions for responding to the Governor’s mask mandate
1. Can I be required to wear a mask at work?
- Yes. If you are directed to wear a mask at work, then wear a mask. The employer is within their right to require wearing a mask.
2. I’ve been asked to show proof of vaccination. What should I do?
- If you choose to show it, ask how your information will be protected and stored. Make sure it will be held with the care and sensitivity it deserves.
3. If I don’t have or don’t want to provide proof of vaccination, what should I do?
- There is a lot of sensitivity about vaccination status. We understand your concern. If you make a personal decision about showing it, first ask,
Am I being directed to show it?
- If it’s an order to show it, you will know that your
department considers this a valid work directive. Although the
Union is fighting back on this order.
- An Unfair Labor Practice Charge has been filed with the Public Employee Relations Board because CalHR did not give us 30 days’ notice before changing our working conditions and did not Meet and Confer over this action.
This case will not be decided immediately.
This is a personal choice. If you are willing to file a grievance, and willing to accept the consequences of not showing proof of vaccination (possibly a Letter of Reprimand or other type of discipline), understand this will be your choice. We can’t promise we will win a disciplinary action, but we will help you fight it.
4. What about testing?
- If your department is currently testing, and you have been
part of that testing, you should continue to follow those
- If your department is not currently testing, they are supposed to send notice to our Union giving us the protocols and procedures. If testing is new and just starting at your worksite, we need to know that.
5. If you are directed to testing because you do not provide proof of vaccination, ask the following:
- When does testing start?
- Where will the testing occur?
- Will it be on state time?
- When will I get the results?
- Should I still come to work before the results are complete?
- If an offsite facility is used, will I be reimbursed for mileage?
If the state is telling you to use your own time, or you have to pay for testing, we need to know that immediately.