Unit 3 Bargaining Update for Monday, July 15, 2019
Unit 3 Pursues Pay Schedule Fairness for CTE Workers and Work Schedule Respect
Local 1000’s Unit 3 Professional Educators and Librarians returned to the bargaining table on Monday, July 15, 2019 in their pursuit of a more equitable pay scale and scheduling policies that respect the family and personal lives of people who provide services such as rehabilitation programming for the state’s prisoner population, educational instruction for deaf students and diagnostics for persons with disabilities.
For Unit 3 workers, workplace equity and respect are not simply bargaining proposals on a page; they are necessary conditions for these state employees to function as effectively as possible in service of their mission. With this in mind, Unit 3 submitted a number of proposals to:
- Unify the pay schedule between California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation and Department of Youth and Community Restoration (YCR), formerly known as the Department of Juvenile Justice.
- Provide more step credits for vocational instructors who apply for prior trade experience to create greater career advancement potential.
- Limit class sizes for academic and vocational instructors and students.
- Clarify language regarding off-site preparations for educators.
- Require work assignment notifications for Unit 3 workers when management wants to change an employee’s schedule.
In addition to passing these proposals, Unit 3 also had a member-leader and Carpentry expert speak to state negotiators about the importance of unifying the pay schedule between CDCR and YCR, especially given that the wealth of his experience (and that of many vocational instructors) is not being fairly compensated. And in a state like California, where more and more working people struggle every day to makes ends meet, it’s critical that all working people are paid equitably for the skills they bring to the table.
Unit 3 represents over 1,600 Academic Teachers, Vocational Instructors and Librarians across multiple state departments.
Unit 3 returns to the bargaining table on Thursday, July 25, 2019.