Unit 4 Bargaining Update for Tuesday, July 30, 2019
Unit 4 Bargaining Team Signs 19 Tentative Agreements; Protects Upward Mobility at Table
This Tuesday Local 1000’s Unit 4 bargaining team made great progress towards making this state a California for All. On July 30th they were able to sign 19 tentative agreements and were able to protect critical contract language that protects upward mobility opportunities for over 20,000 Unit 4 state workers in California.
In the town halls and surveys Local 1000 conducted in the run-up to bargaining, feedback showed that upward mobility remains an important issue to our members. The ability for office and allied workers to access the training and education needed to expand their employment opportunities is crucial to making higher salaries and advancing in their career. And greater economic stability for our members means greater economic stability for our families and our communities.
During this session the Unit 4 team signed roll-over language that protected:
- The Unit 4 Upward Mobility Task Force, which provides an opportunity for Unit 4 member-leaders to communicate and problem-solve with the state around issues related to upward mobility.
- Upward Mobility and Training Days. The team protected two Professional Development Days that allow Unit 4 workers to access training and career development on those days each year.
- A Library Technician Assistant (LTA) tuition reimbursement program that provides money for LTAs who are enrolled in a graduate library studies program at an accredited school.
These upward mobility roll-over provisions continue to provide real support to Unit 4 members who are interested in career advancement.
Other notable roll-over tentative agreements that were signed on Tuesday include:
- A Permanent Intermittent (PI) contract provision that requires the DMV to set-aside at least 50 percent of all new, full-time, permanent openings for PI conversions.
- Unit 4s current Recruitment and Retention Differential for Account Clerk Series in CDCR.
- The Dictaphone Differential currently in the contract.
- The differential for Toll Collectors working the night shift.
- Performance Standards language that provides stronger guidelines, limits, and restrictions to management around the establishment of performance standards.
“We heard from our members that upward mobility is a priority,” said Karen Jeffries, Unit 4 chair. “It’s important for our members to stay engaged throughout the bargaining process, and now it’s time for us to show up and show out on August 13th!”