UPDATE: Learning Management System (LMS) Pilot Program
On February 8, 2019, our Union met with the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR) to discuss the implementation of a pilot program of a new Learning Management System (LMS) operated from State and Inmate owned JPay tablets at five (5) institutions.
These institutions include:
- California Substance Abuse Treatment Facility (SATF)
- California Institution for Women (CIW)
- Central California Women’s Facility (CCWF)
- High Desert State Prison (HDSP)(C yard only)
- Kern Valley State Prison (KVSP)(C yard only)
The LMS pilot program is anticipated to operate for approximately two years after which time the department may determine a full implementation at all 35 adult institutions.
Some of the major details from the negotiations include the following:
- This pilot will involve approximately 75 teachers and the intent of the pilot is to provide a supplement to the curriculum, not a mandatory requirement for use.
- The LMS will contain three levels of educational course content including:
- Informational - Links to materials such as suicide prevention, Prop 57 explanation, Dealing with anxiety, etc.
- eLearning courses - Three courses available to students through DRP-TV channels, with limited face-to-face interactions with teachers.
- Supplemental Courses and Content - Content designed to supplement existing ABE, ASE, Post-Secondary Education, Continuing Education Programs and HSE.
- CDCR does not anticipate any workload changes for the impacted employees due to this pilot.
- Members should make note of any changes in work product and workload during this pilot period.