Health Facility Evaluator Nurses (HFEN)
Update as of January 5, 2021
Thank you for all your emails and feedback. Please continue sending your questions, comments, and feedback to email@example.com We read each email and try to respond accordingly in our updates.
1. UPDATES ON MILEAGE CLAIMS & RENTAL CARS
How long do employees have to file a mileage
Travel reimbursement claims should be submitted as soon as possible and in the same month that the expenses have occurred. However, the travel unit accepts travel expense claims for up to three fiscal years. Currently accepting (FY 19-20, 18-19, & 17-18).
Do rental cars have to be returned each
The general policy is that employees need to return the vehicle after returning from a trip because the insurance only covers the vehicle, during the time they are conducting state business. If they need a vehicle more than one day without lodging, they will need to work with the supervisor to provide Travel unit, a car rental justification as to why it is needed overnight.
- Christina Montserrat confirmed that employees who rent cars may ask for reimbursement for taxi/ride-share to and from the rental facility.
2. UPDATE ON UNFAIR PRACTICE CHARGE (UPC)
- The Public Employee Relations Board (PERB) issued a complaint
against the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) on our
charge that CDPH committed an unfair labor
practice. CLICK HERE to
view the document.
- Our Unfair Practice Charge (UPC) focused on the unilateral
implementation of the Duty Statement without completing the meet
and confer process. Management’s unilateral action failed to
address the flaws in the duty statement, the concerns of the
Union and the HFENs, and the separation of functions between
training and enforcement.
- Next, we must meet with Management and PERB to try to resolve
the issues mutually through a settlement conference. While we are
required to engage in this process, we are not obligated to
- The issuance of the complaint does not mean that we “won.” it just means that we passed the initial procedural hurdles for stating a claim of an unfair labor practice. If there is no resolution, we will continue to move forward towards a hearing at PERB.
3. CHCQ REORGANIZATION NOTICE
- Management noticed us of the CHCQ
HERE to view SEIU
- Please let us know your questions, comments, and/or
suggestions by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- In response to the Quality
& Safety Survey Model Proposal approximately 50 HFENs
sent a letter to Deputy Director Heidi Steinecker and many of the
elected officials that oversee CDPH.
- CLICK HERE to view a copy of the letter.
4. CDPH HIRING DIRECT PATIENT CARE RNs & LVNs TO DEPLOY INTO EMERGENCY SITUATIONS
- Management noticed us regarding hiring limited-term (LT)
patient care nurses to assist with surges of COVID positive
patients. CLICK HERE to
view SEIU notice #C-2020-525-CDPH.
- Management plans to recruit 100 direct patient care clinical
staff, who will be limited- term for up to one year in this role.
They would provide emergency temporary staffing in facilities,
conduct testing, give vaccines, and help provide infection
prevention onsite training.
- The notice above doesn’t mention LVNs, but we will be
clarifying whether this notice includes LVNs or not.
- Please let us know your comments, concerns, and questions by emailing us at email@example.com
5. CDPH VACCINATION POLICY
- Management noticed us of a new CDPH Vaccination
Policy. CLICK HERE to
view SEIU notice #C-2020-535-CDPH.
- Please let us know your questions, comments, and/or suggestions by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
6. UPDATE ON PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT (PPE)
- Management says staff should have access to individualized fit-testing & proper mask sizes.
- Management has given some staff Power Air Purifying Respirators PAPRs.
- Everybody is getting fit-tested and there are some staff getting PAPR’s.
- If there are other concerns, please email us at email@example.com
As always, if you have any individual or group issue you need help with, please call the Local 1000 Member Resource Center (MRC) at 866.471.SEIU (7348).
Thanks and In Unity,
Felicia (Lisa) Barbato, HFEN
Andres Villatoro, HFEN
Kim Cowart, RN, Chair, BU 17
Mo Kashmiri, SEIU Local 1000 Staff