Local 1000 Moving Forward: A Weekly Progress Report from Board Chair Bill Hall
We’re making progress on the work that needs to be done to benefit you and our Union. I’m pleased to report on the following developments:
- Last week we continued our focus on building our membership
base. Local 1000’s Executive Committee and I had a working
meeting with Heather Conroy, SEIU Executive Vice President,
and Neneki Lee, National Division Director for Public
Services at SEIU International. SEIU is invested in ensuring that
Local 1000 is successful in our work to strengthen our
membership, develop leaders, and mount a strong contract fight in
2023. To that end, SEIU has offered to partner with us
to pull together the staffing resources and assistance
needed to ramp up and sustain membership growth. This agreement
will bring one million dollars of in-kind resources to our Local
over the next six months. The agreement will also include Local
1000 hiring additional staff and building membership as well as
expert assistance for our entire leadership team.
- Last week I met with Local 1000’s HR Director to start the
process of bringing in new field staff personnel. We’re also
reviewing organizational structure issues relating to management
staff to ensure we can meet the needs of our members.
- We also continued work on Local 1000’s Wednesday Member-Up Organizing Program. This included a trip to the Franchise Tax Board in Rancho Cordova, where I participated in Wednesday organizing with staff and members.
Essential Worker Pay
- Tia Orr, Director of Government Affairs at SEIU California, Neneki Lee, National Division Director for Public Services at SEIU International, Anica Walls, Vice President for Organizing / Representation, Irene Green, Vice President for Bargaining, and myself met to discuss how to move Essential Worker Pay forward and win much deserved compensation for the critical sacrifices that Local 1000 state workers and staff continue to make during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Political and Legislative Engagement
- Last Monday I had the opportunity to meet with Governor Gavin
Newsom. The meeting was cordial and informative and served
as a first step in reestablishing a working relationship with the
Governor and his staff.
- And on our Wednesday evening “Straight Talk” this week, we had a great conversation with Tia Orr, Director of Government Affairs at SEIU California, who spoke on “The Power and Importance of Politics to SEIU and Local 1000”. If you weren’t able to tune in you can catch the recording here.
- We continued to work on the planning and implementation process around the repair and possible future use of our one-story building. As we’ve indicated in the past, the building is in need of maintenance and repurposing to optimize its usefulness to the Local.
Upcoming Board Meeting
- We were able to finalize the agenda for the June 11, 12, and 13 Local 1000 Board of Directors meeting.
Thank you for your support.
William (Bill) Hall
Board Chair, SEIU Local 1000