A Message from SEIU Local 1000 Board Chair Bill Hall
Led by our executive leadership team and Board of Directors, SEIU Local 1000 continues to focus on initiatives that serve you. Here’s a recap of our efforts over the past week:
- SEIU International staff are currently on loan to Local 1000. This includes Tom Zablocki, Senior Campaign Coordinator, who was in Sacramento last week and this week. I’ve already met with Tom twice for a total of 3 hours to work on new member outreach and recruitment.
- Wednesday, April 20, we held our bi-weekly Staff Directors meeting. Topics of discussion included staff vacancies, staff security, membership, and rebuilding our political presence. We also got an update on the progress we’ve made moving staff toward organizing every Wednesday.
- Thursday, April 21, I had the opportunity to participate in both the Parliamentary and Advanced Steward Training.
- Heather Conroy, Vice President Public Sector, SEIU International, met with the Local 1000 Vice Presidents and myself in person on Friday, April 22, to work on building Local 1000 and membership recruitment.
- We continue to work towards reinstituting a weekly member off program. The goal is to have one member off in each DLC every Wednesday in order to work with staff on moving union programs and membership.
- I also continue to reach out to DLC Presidents, listen to their concerns, discuss their work, and monitor their progress.
- Finally, Sarah McGinn, Local 1000 Apprenticeship Coordinator, provided an uplifting presentation covering “Career Development and the SEIU Local 1000 Apprenticeship Program” on Straight Talk, our new Wednesday evening call-in program where represented workers can interact with member and staff leaders. Please help us spread the word by encouraging fellow members to tune in Wednesday night, May 4, at 6:30 p.m. to speak with Irene Green, Vice President for Bargaining, and Brooke Pierman, our Executive Director of the Contract Department, who will be speaking on “Bargaining and Telework – A Timeline for 2022-23.” And remember, you can always catch a recorded version of the show here.
Thank you for your support,
William (Bill) Hall
Board Chair, SEIU Local 1000